As protective face masks are quickly becoming the most important fashion accessory, the less glamorous side of mask wearing is also becoming increasingly popular: maskne. Maskne is now a widely understood term for a common skin condition – acne induced or exacerbated by wearing protective face masks. Maskne-sufferers may have complex feelings about makeup, particularly foundation. On the one hand, foundation is a useful tool to conceal existing breakouts or acne scars from maskne breakouts, but makeup wearers may be tempted to ditch their foundation for fear that it could cause even more breakouts.
We asked Dr. Elyse Love, New York City Board Certified Dermatologist, for her tips on choosing a foundation to wear under a face mask and advice for a routine to avoid maskne. First, she explained that, “Masks increase the chance of acne-related breakouts because sweat and humidity become trapped underneath the mask. This clogs and irritates pores, and can lead to acne and/or rosacea flares. Some makeup, especially foundation, can compound this.”
Dr. Love does not insist that her patients ditch foundation altogether – she simply advises what type to choose. “For those who still want foundation level coverage during this time, I recommend Dermablend Flawless Creator Foundation. The foundation is zero-weight and buildable, allowing for light to full coverage without heaviness to the skin. In addition it's non-comedogenic (meaning it doesn't clog pores) and tested for tolerability on sensitive skin.”
Foundation is just one part of a typical routine, so Dr. Love gave us some other tips on how to avoid maskne:
1) Wear a clean, light-weight facial mask daily. Masks are part of our daily routine for the foreseeable future, so stock up on a few light-weight, machine-washable options and rotate daily.
2) Add a gentle exfoliator to your evening skincare routine - glycolic, lactic, and salicylic acid are all great options. Don't overdo it with this step though because masks also increase irritation.
3) Perform your nightly skincare routine as soon as you arrive home for the evening. Don't wait until bedtime. Wash that sweat away immediately.
4) Stick to oil-free and/or non-comedogenic serums, moisturizers, concealers, and foundations.
5) If symptoms persist, see a board-certified dermatologist for evaluation and prescription level treatment. These are incredibly stressful times which can be a trigger for many skin conditions, including acne and rosacea. Seek expert advice if these options aren't providing you adequate results.
Flawless Creator Foundation is included in the Mask-Proof Transfer-Resistant Foundation Routine, along with Loose Setting Powder, Setting Spray, and a foundation brush – a value of $117 for only $84.
Recommended for you